ROAST BELLY PORK WITH THYME AND ROASTED VEGETABLES
Ask the butcher to score the rind of the pork finely with a sharp knife so it crackles beautifully.
- 1kg belly pork joint
- Sunflower oil and sea salt for rubbing
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- ½ swede, peeled and in wedges
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut lengthways
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into quarters
Rub the scored rind of the pork generously with oil and sea salt. Rub in the thyme leaves too. Place in a roasting tray. Cook at Gas 7/ 220C for 20 minutes till you see the rind starting to crisp up. Lower heat to Gas 4/ 180C for about an hour and twenty minutes or till very tender and crackly.
After 45 minutes, add the potatoes, carrots, swede and parsnips to the pan, scattering around the meat and basting with the juices. Or drizzle with oil, season and cook these in a separate roasting tray in the same oven. Turn them occasionally. Serve the meat on a platter surrounded by the vegetables.