Mushroom & Spinach Risotto
• 1.5 litres hot chicken stock
• 30 g butter
• 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
• handful of spinach leaves
• 400g rice (brown rice optional)
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 4 large handfuls of mushrooms - cleaned and sliced
• a few fresh parsley leaves
• 2 nice handfuls of freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add your chopped onion and mushrooms, sautee until nicely brown. Add your chopped spinach, then add your rice to the pan, reduce heat, and season with salt/ pepper. Keep stirring to avoid rice burning. when the rice crackles add 1 litre of your stock and keep it on a low simmer. Give it a stir and keep stirring until the liquid has cooked into the rice, keep the heat down to a simmer and keep stirring the rice until its soft but with a slight bite. This will take about 30 minutes.
Take the risotto off the heat and check the seasoning, add more if required, stir in some Parmesan. You want it to be creamy and oozy in texture, so add a bit more stock if you think it needs it.
Serve a good dollop of risotto topped with some parsley and a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan.
If you use wholegrain rice cooking time will be longer.