Chicken & Sweet Corn Chowder
Use either cooked chicken fillets or the remains of a roast chicken.
See Traditional Roast Chicken for a quick stock recipe.
- 300g frozen sweetcorn
- 400ml home-made chicken stock
- 40g butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tablesp. flour
- 600ml milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
- 150-200g cooked chicken, chopped
- 2-3 tablesp. cream
Put the sweetcorn in a saucepan with the stock. Cover, bring to the boil then reduce to simmer for 10 minutes. Puree and set aside.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the onion and carrot and saute gently for ten minutes until softened. Stir in the flour and continue to cook for a couple of minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring all the time. Add in the cheese, corn mixture, cream and seasoning. Serve in warmed soup bowls with crusty bread.